A couple of months ago I got an email from someone who was looking for a stitched sampler in my Etsy Shop. I didn't have any in my shop, but I said I could try to make something to order.
I started with a little cross stitch sampler in the corner, part of a pink napkin and a couple of flannel-ish pieces that I think used to be part of a baby trousseau and some flowers cut from vintage fabric.
(Obviously I didn't spend much time ironing while I was stitching.)
The next step was to add some freehand embroidery stitches on the left side and and middle, and add some lace by the ticking heart.
The sampler was almost done full, but it didn't seem "done". After staring at it for awhile, I decided the bottom right side was too "light". It was too pastel, and kind of out of whack with the bright bold colors on the rest of sampler.
I dug through my fabric stash and found a great piece of barkcloth that would have more impact.
It can be hard to go back and "fix" something you've already spent time on, but in the long run, I'm better off investing the time. As my mother says "If it bothers you now, it will bother you later."
It was fun to collaborate long distance with someone else on the sampler, and have "in progress" pictures.
I'm not sure I would have been bold enough to add so many bright beautiful blossoms to the sampler without the encouragement of my customer.
After spending a lot of enjoyable hours working on the sampler, I didn't want to just shove it in an envelope and drop it in the mail.
So, I stitched up a wallpaper envelope with a seam binding tie and a little bunch of posies and sent it on it's way to its new home.